Monday, March 29, 2010

Monday - Courage

1: The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27

Here is the opening line of one of the popular Psalms. The speaker describes his relationship to God as to the Lord. It reads as a near perfect description of the classic European Feudal relationship. The 'servant' does as he is told and the 'lord' protects and provides all. It is a relationship that worked reasonably well for a long time of ignorance.

Trouble comes when, in a religious context, one realizes that each person is that 'special servant' to the lord and thus are all equal to each other. Our human instinct is to put ourselves as higher up the importance chain than everyone else and if we are all servants of the lord then we are all equals in his regard.

God has no trouble seeing us as equals to each other. It's we who keep looking for the edge on everyone else.

Just saying

No comments: